Tuesday, February 27, 2007

February's First Garden Outing

I've been out in the garden a few times now, had a very productive weekend last week and got alot of things sorted. The last owners seemed to love Ivy and Conifers, the two plants I hate with a passion. So have got rid of the two dwarf conifers and started hacking away at the Ivy that is everywhere. I can't start chopping down one of the conifers as a beautiful pair of blackbirds have decided to nest there, so will have to wait until there gone again.

Talking about animals our two hidous ponds have been filled with frog spawn annoyingly i was about to get rid of one and had lifted all the plants from around about it and had shifted its postion, came out again after a few days of heavy rain to drain it to find it full of frogspawn so am now having to wait till the frogs have grown legs and jumped off.

I have potted up some lovely petunias (I hate them really but winter color is always good) and have some pretty pansy's flowering, they are certaintly getting enough water and I'm trying to fill empty bottles up with rainwater now so when the inevitable hose pipe ban comes i will have enough water to keep my plants alive and well. Also saved a lavender and a couple of roses out of where my Veg are going. I do seem to have alot of roses in the garden, which is fab but again not my favorite flower to have to many of them, one or two little ones I'm fine with, may move them into the front border haven't really decided yet, but they seem very happy in there pots. Have a pot thats full of a twiggy looking plant so have cleaned it up added a bit of compost and wait and see what happens you never know it might be the most beautiful plant in the world!

The veg patch is coming along apart from the flaming pond thats got frog spawn in it! I have already planted my parsnips for the september crop and now trying to make some space for carrots hopefully to be followed my peas and potatoes in pots. Tomatoes will be done in grow bags outside, I hope! I'm growing cut and come again salad leaves in a big trough i have rescued, lets just hope it hasn't filled up with water and the frogs haven't laid more flaming frog spawn.

Lots of landscaping needs doing moving soil from one side of the garden to the other very tiresome and quite frustraiting, but has to be done. All the pots I've found and rescued are now living happily in my shed after having a good clean. Desperate for some big planters though, may need another trip to the pound shop in town for them though or a look round the charity shops for anything suitable. Th soil is really stoney so have a big bucket full of stones for bottoms of pots only problem is there all too big for my pots hense the need for new pots (well thats what I'm telling stu!).

Looking to buy a green house but need to clear a space for one and measure up for it as until I move the soil I have no idea what sort of size I can fit in the space. Have a stupid little wooded shed thing thats full of old bits of paint that need empying, its just finding the time to do these jobs, lets just hope the evenings warm up again soon.

I have a list of jobs the size of my arm and things to buy equally as long but since budget is tight with all the other things we need to buy i guess I will have to hold on for a wee while longer and see what develops in the garden first. will try and do some drawings and take lots of pictures so hopefully tis will give a good update of what happens in my garden.