Wednesday, March 7, 2007

After the Winds

After all the winds of the last few days I've been out in the garden and cleaning up the damage, luckily nothing major just a few pots blown over and some rubbish i lavily left in the middle of the garden blown to the otherside. Only major upset was my new plastic green house blew over taking my petunias and herb seeds with it, so have brushed the soil into the cracks in the paving you never know something may grow!

After being very disallusioned with my seeds that a sowed 2 weeks ago after they weren't doing anything started surfing the internet for some advice and someone mentioned putting them in the airing cupboard to give them a head start then transfering them to the windowsill and low and behold 2 days later they gave a quick spurt and not have some slightly leggy seedlings that are ready for pricking out, hopefully this weekend if stu will let me, may need to get up early on Saturday and give them a head start. The chilli seeds don't seem to have done anything, so once I've taken out the toms i may put the tray back into the airing cupboard to see if anything happens.

After this boost with my toms i thought i might put my sweet peas in and within a day i started getting little green shoots popping there heads up, so again moved onto the bedroom windowsill, just have to keep on reminding Stuart that the cats can't go in there. so very happy at the moment.

Had a nice parcel in the post this morning of strawberry plants witch are to go into my half hanging basket though need to get a liner for it, so sat morning maybe a quick run up to Homebase or B&Q and get myself all sorted. I'm sure Stuart would be happy since he likes strawberries, to take me or my trusty little scooter!

Also had a wee look in my shed at the onioins and shallots i had ready for planting and noticed some of the onions sprouting so quickly put them in pots all ready for some earlies and them picked out the rotten ones so not to infect any more.

Been going into the garden most mornings (when its not raining) to tidy up some of the plants as the climbers and roses are starting again. Been slowly getting rid of the ivy that grows on out outhouses as its rotting the wood so thought it would be better to get rid of it, plus as I've said before i have ivy! The climbing winter jasmine has finished flowering so starting to tidy that up taking away all the frost bitten shoots and tucking in the stronger shoots to make way for new plants next winter. Also been tidying up the clamatus and taking all the dead wood out and training some of the new shoots, though need to get the step ladders out to get to the ones on the top, don't want it going on the roof of our outhouse so more training needed i fear. Got a few structural problems with the outhouse that I'm going to ask Simon (my mums partner) about when he's here on Saturday as hes clever like that. Think I need new doors and the guttering sorted also need to get more water butts!

I've got lots of Animals in the garden at the moment and hopefully more to come. The tadpoles now have little tails and are wiggling in there jelly balls looking forward to see how them progress as haven't been this close to tadpoles before! Got a new bird house this morning in the post, made from old estate agents signs, its really good, very excited and takes recycling to a whole new level! another job for Saturday morning to put it up in its temp position, though i may have to wait till after my tools arrive on the trailer from mums. The Cats have been in and out the garden lots and are learning not to go to the toillet in our garden but in our neighbours that we don't like, so thats a bonus! My wormery is going well, after constinly catching escapee worms! got a rain cap for it this morning so here's hoping that it'll stop them trying to escape, they've got lots of food and even worm treat so fingers crossed it'll all be ok and I'll be able to put a new layer on soon.

all looking good at the moment and looking forward to a productive weekend.